Your Boarding Source

Full Version: Stopping with your toe edge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having problems stopping with my toe edge. I know it's weird, but I can only stop with my heel edge. Dunno why, guess it's just how I was taught, yes, I had lessons before, didn't teach toe edge. Years later it's become a habit.. I'm going up to the mountains in 2 weeks, and I'd really like to get over my habit. I need to be more balanced and flexible. I know.. just do it right? I've tried, countless of times, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I just end up falling. I start to do it, then I slowly start to turn into just going straight down. Could it be because my heel keeps lifting in my boot? (Rentals) Sad I know.. please help me. Any advice?
how do you fall? do you fall uphill (on your face) or downhill (on your back)?

can you carve good on your toe edge? if you can, just do that but keep going to make your board purpendicular to the mountian. and push your back foot out too a lil bit.

hope that helps a little bit at least.
Pssibly try taking another lesson, and ask the instructor to show you. MAke sure your facing up the mountain, shoulders in line with the board..heels up.
ocmeister Wrote:I just end up falling. I start to do it, then I slowly start to turn into just going straight down.

Where/when are you falling? You did not really describe it completely. You stated you started to do it(i'm guessing from a heel position)
Then you slowly start to turn into going straight down

Now that doesn't describe where and when you fall. Post here or PM me more detail description and I'll do my best to help ya!
Mmkay..

I fall when I'm facing the mountain with my knees bent (on my toe side), and I put pressure on my toes to stop (I slide facing the mountain down slowly). People suggested to just practice like that so that you get used to it.. so I can actually stop like that after riding. But except when I do, after little while, my knees get really tired and I start going back and going straight down again or I start curving to the right like alot. It's either that or I just flop backwards on my head. Every run I try to practice it, but it always turns out the same. :incoheren
#1 Bend at your knees and waist much more. You're flopping over backwards because you're standing too tall. Keep your weight centered between your feet. Use your feet create angle/pressure on the board - DO NOT use your body weight! If you lean onto your edge to get it dig into the snow, you will fall.

You carve to the right for one of 2 reasons or my guess is both reasons. Hopefully this explaination helps.

The board will carve to the right for 2 reasons: you're applying more pressure to the left toe side and that makes the board carve to the right because there is more drag on the left side of the board. You can correct this by letting up on left toe side and/or applying more pressure to the right toes.

Another reason for carving to the right is because your weight isn't centered between your feet. If you get too much weight over your right foot the board will start to carve in that direction. Don't try leaning onto the left foot (back) to correct this. Center your weight and let up pressure on your left toes while increasing pressure on your right toes.
Jimi77 Wrote:#1 Bend at your knees and waist much more. You're flopping over backwards because you're standing too tall. Keep your weight centered between your feet. Use your feet create angle/pressure on the board - DO NOT use your body weight! If you lean onto your edge to get it dig into the snow, you will fall.

You carve to the right for one of 2 reasons or my guess is both reasons. Hopefully this explaination helps.

The board will carve to the right for 2 reasons: you're applying more pressure to the left toe side and that makes the board carve to the right because there is more drag on the left side of the board. You can correct this by letting up on left toe side and/or applying more pressure to the right toes.

Another reason for carving to the right is because your weight isn't centered between your feet. If you get too much weight over your right foot the board will start to carve in that direction. Don't try leaning onto the left foot (back) to correct this. Center your weight and let up pressure on your left toes while increasing pressure on your right toes.

Ahhhh. I see what I was doing wrong. That makes alot of sense. Another thing I seem to be doing wrong is trying to stop on the toe edge while I'm going straight down. I'm goofy, so I put weight on my right leg and I carve to the right. What are you supposed to actually do, pull the left leg back so you can stop instead of carve to the right? Sorries, I'm such a newb.
ocmeister Wrote:Ahhhh. I see what I was doing wrong. That makes alot of sense. Another thing I seem to be doing wrong is trying to stop on the toe edge while I'm going straight down. I'm goofy, so I put weight on my right leg and I carve to the right. What are you supposed to actually do, pull the left leg back so you can stop instead of carve to the right? Sorries, I'm such a newb.

It's nice to know all those classes I took paid off (I'm an adaptive instructor - 20 hours of class/yr)..... I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean, but I think I do - what you need to so is actually unweight the left foot a little and use you hips & torso to kinda whip the board the around so it's facing across the hill instead of down the hill. Once you're facing across the hill, then you center you weight 50/50 over both feet, apply equal pressure to both toes and you should come to stop without carving to the right.