Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disregard this post, I need to do something for History...
Doug LeBlanc
2/15/06
Per. 7
Lewis And Clark Expedition
On May 21 July 31, 1804 two men, William Clark and Meriwether Lewis, were sent out to lead an expedition of men across half of the North American continent to find to the Pacific Ocean. President Thomas Jefferson had instructed the two men to assemble a crew and begin the long journey and find the all water route through the continent, and along the way, learn as much as they can about the earth- plants, animals and minerals. As well as naturally occurring things, Jefferson also wanted them to report back information about all the Native American tribes along the way.

Born in Virginia on August 1, 1770, William Clark was one of the two leaders of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Following his brother’s footsteps, Clark joined the army, and advancing in ranks, he eventually had a man by the name of Meriwether Lewis under his command. Little did he know that he was not only just a soldier, but later he would also be a companion in the long journey across the country. Lewis was the master cartographer during the expedition, and as well as making maps, he examined all the different species of plants and animals along the way. Clark’s partner throughout the journey was Meriwether Lewis, another Virginian man who was born on August 18, 1774. He was the private secretary under President Jefferson and in 1801, he was sent to Philadelphia where he would be taught the skills to survive on what is now known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Another one of the most important people to accompany the two on this voyage across the country was a Shoshone Indian named Sacagawea. She was a crucial part of the group as she could communicate with the Indians, as none of the other members knew how to speak in an Indian tongue.

This two and one-third year long journey was no easy task. It starts out with the group going west and then north-west along the Missouri River, where some key things happened, the first American death (Sergeant Flyod) who died in a Sioux city. Then heading more north they reached Fort Pierre and Fort Mandan, from which they headed west. Across the Great Plains until they reached the Great Falls, went south a little ways to the Three Forks and then westward once again, but they had to cross over the Rocky Mountains at this point. Once they reached Lemhi Pass, they started heading north to a place known as Travelers Rest. Then sailing eastward, they finally reached Fort Clatsop on the western coast. After taking note of the area around them, they set forth, to complete their journey home. Having made their way back to the Travelers Rest, the two leaders split up into two major parties, both taking separate routes back home. Clark went south, and Lewis went north. Eventually they all met up once again far to the east, near Fort Mandan. From this point on, they followed the Missouri river back home the exact way they followed it leaving their home a few years ago, at the start of the expedition.

On this long, cold adventure, many things happen to the group of explorers. For instance, only a few months into their voyage, they are greeted by a tribe of Teton Sioux Indians who greet the settlers with their weapons drawn. The expedition decided to fight fire with fire, drawing their swords and aiming their muskets at the Indians. Oddly enough, even though both sides appeared ready to fight, both sides retreated and no fighting took place, so luckily for the explorers, no one was wounded or even worse, killed. Eventually they made it to the Rocky Mountains and were forced to purchase horses from local Indian tribes. At first it seemed fine, originally they could get a horse for a cheap price, just a knife and some old clothes, but with each passing day the price would rise. They eventually made it across the mountains on their exhausted horses and the starving men eventually ended up eating their own transportation once they made it down the other side. After making their journey to the Pacific Ocean, they then began back home. About half way home, the men started running extremely low on food and went out on a hunting trip. Wearing some animal hide clothing, Lewis was mistaken for an elk by one of his own party members and a bullet pierced his leg, but luckily it just grazed the side of his thigh. Although a non-lethal wound, it was still a bullet wound none the less and took quite some time to heal, but when it did, the expedition was back on their way home at a normal speed once again.

Having now made it back to their home in St. Louis, the expedition disbanded. Informing the country of all their discoveries, the United States now knew a whole deal of a lot more information about the other half of the country and then we started to expand more westward, pushing the Indians off their land, claiming it as our own. People moved westward to harvest all the new specimens of plants and resources for marketing and other uses. This caused colonization in the west, destroying its natural beauty, and Indian homes. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisa...intro.html

Sent to find water route to Pacific + Explore the West -- May 21 July 31, 1804 = PURPOSE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Clark \
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meriwether_Lewis | = 3 EXPLORERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea /
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisa...e/maps.jpg = ROUTE

Started St. Louis camp, going upstream
-Aug. 20th, Sergeant Charles Floyd, 1st soldier death west of Mississippi, cause of death; appendicitis
-Sep. 1st, 1804, expedition meets hostile Teton Sioux Indian tribe, no war, but almost.
-Dec. 21st-April 6th, about 12 members and 108 plants, 68 minerals and a map were sent to the U.S.
To buy horses, it started out as just a shirt and a knife for 1 horse, but prices quickly rose
Horses would be needed to get across the Rockies
-Aug. 25th-Oct 7th, 1805, make it across the Rocky Mountains
-Middle November they reach the Pacific ocean
-Mar. 26th, 1806, journey home begins- give up on sailing home, go across on horse back
-June 10th, they leave an Indian camp but are lost in snow, have to return for Indian guides
-July 3rd, Indians steal some riffles from their camp, expedition fled 120 miles in 1 day
-July 21st, expedition wakens to find half of their horses gone, but never saw a single Crow
-Aug. 11th, Lewis is shot by an expedition member who thought he was an elk, pierced his thigh
-Aug. 30th, almost 100 Sioux lined the Missouri Rv., but never ended up attacking
-Sep. 23rd, makes it back home, greeted by 1k people-- Journey took 2 years, 4 months, 10 days

None of my floppy disks work, so I'm just posting my History paper here, I'll get on a compy at school and print it out, so Amber, I'll re-post in here later, and then you can delete this thread, or whatever, but uh, until then, yea, just ignore this thread.
[Image: siglyness.jpg]
Good paper. A co-worker of mine (40yr old guy) and his friend (a pilot) retraced the Lewis and Clark expidition by plane, making stops along the way, even stopping at an Indian reservation like Lewis and Clark did. Let me know if you need any info. He did his home work.
Burton Custom '04
Burton Mission bindings '05
Burton Freestyle Boots '05

Park set up:
Burtom Dominant Slick '05
Ride Ex Bindings '05
Ride Haze Boots '06
Dirty Doug Wrote:Doug LeBlanc
2/15/06
Per. 7
Lewis And Clark Expedition
On May 21 July 31, 1804 two men, William Clark and Meriwether Lewis, were sent out to lead an expedition of men across half of the North American continent to find to the Pacific Ocean. President Thomas Jefferson had instructed the two men to assemble a crew to begin the long journey to find the all water routes through the continent. Along the way, they were to learn as much as possible about the plants, animals and minerals. Jefferson also wanted them to study and all the Native American tribes along the way.

Born in Virginia on August 1, 1770, William Clark was one of the two leaders of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Following his brother’s footsteps, Clark joined the army and, after advancing in ranks, he eventually had a man by the name of Meriwether Lewis under his command. Little did he know that Lewis was not only a soldier, but later he would also be a companion in Clark's long journey across the country.

Lewis was the master cartographer during the expedition, and on top of making maps, he examined all the different species of plants and animals along the way. Lewis, like Clark,was a Virginian man, born on August 18, 1774. He was the private secretary under President Jefferson and in 1801, he was sent to Philadelphia where he was taught the skills necessary to survive on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Another one of the most important people to accompany the two on this voyage across the country was a Shoshone Indian named Sacagawea. She was a crucial part of the group as she could communicate with the Indians, since none of the other members knew how to speak in an Indian tongue.

This long journey was no easy task. Lasting for nearly two and a half years, it begins with the group going west and then north-west along the Missouri River, where the first American, Sergeant Flyod, died in a Sioux city. Then heading further north they reached Fort Pierre and Fort Mandan. From Mandan they proceeded west across the Great Plains until they reached the Great Falls. From here they headed south to the Three Forks before turning westward once again. At this point they had to cross the Rocky Mountains. Once they reached Lemhi Pass, they started heading north to a place known as Travelers Rest. Then, sailing east, they finally reached Fort Clatsop on the western coast. After taking note of the area around them, they set forth, to complete their journey home. Having made their way back to the Travelers Rest, the two leaders split up into two major parties, both taking separate routes back home. Clark went south, and Lewis went north. Eventually they reconvened again far to the east, near Fort Mandan. From this point on, they followed the Missouri river back home, retracing their steps.

The explorers were confronted with a number of challenges throughout the course of their journey. Only a few months into their voyage, they were greeted by an armed tribe of Teton Sioux Indians. The expedition decided to fight fire with fire, drawing their swords and aiming their muskets at the Indians. Oddly enough, even though both sides appeared ready to fight, both sides retreated and no fighting took place. Fortunately, the explorers managed to escape the encounter with no injuries or casualties.

Eventually they made it to the Rocky Mountains and were forced to purchase horses from local Indian tribes. At first it seemed fine; originally they could get a horse for a cheap price - just a knife and some old clothes -but with each passing day the price would rise. They eventually made it across the mountains on their exhausted horses and the starving men were forced to eat their own transportation once they made it over the mountains. Having reached the Pacific Ocean, they then began their journey back home. About half way home, the men started running extremely low on food and went hunting. Wearing some animal hide clothing, Lewis was mistaken for an elk by one of his own party members and a bullet pierced his leg. Luckily it just grazed the side of his thigh. Although it was a non-lethal wound, it was still a bullet wound, and took quite some time to heal and the injured Lewis slowed the expedition.

Upon having made their way back home to St. Louis, the expedition disbanded. Informing the country of all their discoveries, the United States now knew a great deal more about the western half of the country. The United States then began to expand westward, pushing the Indians off their land, claiming it as their own. People moved west to exploit all the new specimens of plants and resources for agricultural and industrial use. But the settling of the west came at a great cost to the indigenous population; American settlement destroyed the natural beauty of the land, and the homes of the natives. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisa...intro.html

Sent to find water route to Pacific + Explore the West -- May 21 July 31, 1804 = PURPOSE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Clark \
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meriwether_Lewis | = 3 EXPLORERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea /
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisa...e/maps.jpg = ROUTE

Started St. Louis camp, going upstream
-Aug. 20th, Sergeant Charles Floyd, 1st soldier death west of Mississippi, cause of death; appendicitis
-Sep. 1st, 1804, expedition meets hostile Teton Sioux Indian tribe, no war, but almost.
-Dec. 21st-April 6th, about 12 members and 108 plants, 68 minerals and a map were sent to the U.S.
To buy horses, it started out as just a shirt and a knife for 1 horse, but prices quickly rose
Horses would be needed to get across the Rockies
-Aug. 25th-Oct 7th, 1805, make it across the Rocky Mountains
-Middle November they reach the Pacific ocean
-Mar. 26th, 1806, journey home begins- give up on sailing home, go across on horse back
-June 10th, they leave an Indian camp but are lost in snow, have to return for Indian guides
-July 3rd, Indians steal some riffles from their camp, expedition fled 120 miles in 1 day
-July 21st, expedition wakens to find half of their horses gone, but never saw a single Crow
-Aug. 11th, Lewis is shot by an expedition member who thought he was an elk, pierced his thigh
-Aug. 30th, almost 100 Sioux lined the Missouri Rv., but never ended up attacking
-Sep. 23rd, makes it back home, greeted by 1k people-- Journey took 2 years, 4 months, 10 days

None of my floppy disks work, so I'm just posting my History paper here, I'll get on a compy at school and print it out, so Amber, I'll re-post in here later, and then you can delete this thread, or whatever, but uh, until then, yea, just ignore this thread.

I was bored at work so I editted your paper for you. A little tip for next time, you should combine the descriptive/geographical part of their journey with their adventures. It would be more interesting and more readable.
randomness at its finest doug!
[Image: style2,ass-spc-lord.png]
nitro852 Wrote:randomness at its finest doug!

Like I said, none of my floppies work, so I was just using here as some easy-acess storage for an essay I needed for today
[Image: siglyness.jpg]
hah, good to know this forum is useful for something! Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History of Indian Education System chaitra 0 362 01-28-2019, 12:26 AM
Last Post: chaitra
  Disregard this post, I need to do something for History... Dirty Doug 0 682 02-16-2006, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Dirty Doug
  My 100th post!!! PerfectCircle 34 3,562 01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Last Post: asd
  Post Pictures Of Your Ex!!! jam*wil 27 3,759 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Last Post: nitro852
  The "S2 Post Your Pic" Thread DirtyD669 41 7,657 02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Last Post: SnoBordPrincess
  post times right? luonthepom 2 1,434 11-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Last Post: luonthepom
  a commermeration post. Powder.fan. 9 1,850 08-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Last Post: nitro852
  my post #1111 :D Powder.fan. 10 1,165 07-25-2004, 01:46 PM