Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First trip to a real mountain, which should it be?
Just ditched my job a couple weeks back to spend the rest of the season boarding (arguably not the wisest decision Smile) and now I wanna hit up some real resorts for a week or two. I tried lookin up all the big resorts online but I figured the opinions of some fellow boarders that've actually been there are infinitely more valuable so what'd you guys suggest?

Btw, I'm lookin for someplace with around a 2000ft vertical drop where the longest trail is actually measured in miles. I live in Indiana so if there's anyplace like that nearby that'd be awesome, but I'm willin to drive however far I need to.
Nec petita nec cupita approbatio tua
Erm - I don't realliy think there are any places in the Midwest with 2000 ft. vertical drops or whateva.
Colorado would probably be your closest bet (though there might be some stuff on the East Coast - I'm not too familiar with those) but yeah...

Come out to CO!!! Smile
There are alot of places to go in the spring here that are just too cold otherwise. Loveland is way fun and cheap - you just have to go with someone who knows where to go.
Copper Mountain has nice long runs and some steep stuff, Beaver Creek is fun...
Purgatory in Durango (it might actually be called Durango Mountain Resort) is great too.

If you really want a challege, head up to Wyoming and ski Jackson Hole. It's pretty freakin amazing - I'm not gonnna lie.
IMO, the best skiing in North America is Whistler, but that might be a little far from Indiana.. ahaha.
Ride it like you stole it.
i dont think youll find somewhere like that in the midwest. i think the closest is the appalachian mountains in west virginia. im not sure of any of the names of the resorts in the appalachians but i heard some good things about the mountains over there.
Rode the lift the other day with this yuppy skier dude and he was bragging about all the places he has been to ski. He said Mammoth mountain is the greatest. Longest run -4 1/2 miles! Some people speak of Snowshoe in W.VA. It would be closer to you. Not sure of its details though. my $.02
Come to Colorado and stay at Frisco. That puts you 1/2 an hour away from Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. Loveland and Arapahoe Basin will be open until end of May and A-Basin may be open until June.

And while you're hear check out Vail - about an hour from Frisco.

BTW, check Ebay for 4 packs to Copper, Winter Park & Breckenridge. Typically they go for ~$100 and it gets you 4 days of riding. BTW March is our biggest snow month so hurry up. You don't want miss spring skiing - drunk chicks skiing in bikinis rocks! :glasses:
Jimi77 Wrote:Come to Colorado and stay at Frisco. That puts you 1/2 an hour away from Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. Loveland and Arapahoe Basin will be open until end of May and A-Basin may be open until June.

And while you're hear check out Vail - about an hour from Frisco.

BTW, check Ebay for 4 packs to Copper, Winter Park & Breckenridge. Typically they go for ~$100 and it gets you 4 days of riding. BTW March is our biggest snow month so hurry up. You don't want miss spring skiing - drunk chicks skiing in bikinis rocks! :glasses:

Yeah, I second this suggestion. Lots of snow out there.
__________Eric__________
05/06 - Arbor A-Frame (62)
03/04 - Ride Flight Migs
03/04 - Salomon F24

04/05 - Salomon Era (58)

06/07 - Ride DH (55)
06/07 - Ride Beta
06/07 - DC Judge
i agree with trader and jimi, CO is the way to go...copper, a basin and loveland would be your best bet(they are also cheaper than the others). im not a big fan of the groomed, wide runs at breck and keystone, but if thats your thing they'd be good mtns for that. Spring break is always a crazy fun time to come out too, lots of fun stuff going on.
Well, looks like I'm headin to Colorado then. That Frisco place you mentioned sounds pretty good Jimi, especially since I was wantin to hit a couple different resorts and Trader and brdrgrl seem to agree so I think I'll look into it.

Btw,
trickpony Wrote:- you just have to go with someone who knows where to go.

Is that an invitation Trickpony? Wink
If you decide to come to Colorado, let me know. I can probably hook you up with some free passes to Eldora. It's not as cool as some of the other moutains but for free it rocks. Only problem is it's ~2.5 hours from Frisco. It doesn't have the big wide groomer and tends to get icy and windwhipped but the are few sheltered runs and the tree runs are good.
FastSam Wrote:If you decide to come to Colorado, let me know. I can probably hook you up with some free passes to Eldora. It's not as cool as some of the other moutains but for free it rocks. Only problem is it's ~2.5 hours from Frisco. It doesn't have the big wide groomer and tends to get icy and windwhipped but the are few sheltered runs and the tree runs are good.

Hey thanks Sam, that'd be awesome. I'll hit ya up in 2 weeks when I know for sure what I'm doin.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sygic Travel Maps Offline & Trip Planner v5.15.2 Amazingwork21 0 3 01-16-2022, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Amazingwork21
  Sygic Travel Maps Offline & Trip Planner v5.15.1 Amazingwork21 0 3 01-16-2022, 03:57 AM
  Mountain Duck 4.10.1.19060 (x64) Multilingual Amazingwork21 0 7 01-11-2022, 10:12 AM
  Need wide all mountain - freeride board! skuba 0 9,518 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: skuba
  DC Mountain Lab 1.5 Tye 0 1,552 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Tye
  Cheapest boarding trip? shreddonkey 0 1,074 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Last Post: shreddonkey
  Whats your favorite run and on which mountain? aluc6rd 3 1,466 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Balm426
  New-B back from Austrian ALPS snowboard trip! marsolais 2 1,574 02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Last Post: jjyank
  Copper Mountain Jimi77 1 1,209 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jimi77
  Awesome trip report Trilby 0 1,277 06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Trilby