Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good beginner setup for under $250?
Hello, i went snowboarding last sunday at mountain high. After about 50+ falls and many bruises, i finally got the hang of using my heels to control my speed and direction and i'm interested in buying my own set. i hated how my rental boots looked so old and the laces were all torn up. i couldn't even tie them.

anyhow... i'm looking to buy a cheap snowboard setup... any suggestions on a combo for a beginner? walmart?
lapchern Wrote:Hello, i went snowboarding last sunday at mountain high. After about 50+ falls and many bruises, i finally got the hang of using my heels to control my speed and direction and i'm interested in buying my own set. i hated how my rental boots looked so old and the laces were all torn up. i couldn't even tie them.

anyhow... i'm looking to buy a cheap snowboard setup... any suggestions on a combo for a beginner? walmart?

actually upon further reading... what are some good boots for someone like me? i'm willing to splurge a bit on the boots.

as for bindings and board, i want to go cheap, but it has to be decent boards that dont hinder my skill improvement. i'm not broke or anything, i just want to work my way up and appreciate a sick board/binding setup in the future.

preferably i dont want boots where the laces are tough to tie... my rentals felt so loose around the upper ankle.
If you need something to learn on and maybe ride for first year or so, without breaking the bank, I would suggest GI Joe's, Copelands, GARTS.
You probably don't want to go to BIG 5 sporting goods, although this year they have Morrow boards, I learned to snowboard on a Morrow board, somewhat low end brand, but works ok. Most everything else that BIG5 has is crap. You can also try craigslist.com, there is a lot of used stuff there.
Here is what I saw at GI Joe's last Sunday:
Boots: Burton Fader - $89.00
Bindings: Burton custom $100.00
Board: Atomic Discharger around $140.00.

Or just buy new boots and used board with bindings. Hope this helps. All is just MHO.
first of all, its not a good idea to invest that kind of money for a lesser quality equipment... it would be better to save up some more and get the better one because you can ensure yourself that you'll be buying something worth it and will last you for quite some time, rather than just getting low quality cheap equipment...

also, based on my experience from this forum, coz i just got my first setup this season also... i would suggest that you go for the step up higher board rather than the beginner board... so that you won't outgrow your board easily... unless if you're gonna be replacing your board every season...

nevertheless, since the season is ending already... there are a lot of stores going on clearance sale... they got like 50% discounts...
here are some suggestions:
boots: number 1 priority is comfort!!! u can get a very cheap boots out there but at the same time you're uncomfortable with it... that wouldn't make sense. so try on boots (a lot) on your local shops.
try these boots: Burton Freestyle, Burton Moto, Burton Hail, Ride Orion, Ride Anthem, DC Phase...etc.

bindings: i would suggest Ride LX, Burton Custom or Burton Mission

board: Ride Control, GNU CHB, Burton Air, Burton Cruzer, Burton Clash

check this out: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com
you might find all this stuff here...

05/06:
GNU CHB(53)
Ride LX
Ride Anthem
Boots - number one thing is comfort. Don't buy boots you havn't tried on. Go to a local boardshop and try a whole bunch on, and choose the ones that are the most comfortable. Then you can buy the same brand and model off the internet if you want.

Bindings - I'm suggesting Customs. There a great binding IMO and super comfortable.

Boards - it all depends on what you are going to want to do. Talk to people at your boardshop and they'll point you some good boards. Other than that Maybe GNU Carbon High Beam would be a good one, or maybe something from the Burton line like air or cruzer depending on hwo much you want to spend.

You will not get good board, bindings, and boots for less than $250.
We stand sideways. We sleep on floors. We get up early and go to sleep late. We've been mocked. We've been turned away by cops that won't have us. We are relentless. We dream it, we make it, we break it, we fix it. We create. We destroy. We wreck ourselves day in and day out and yet we stomp that one trick or find that one line that keeps us coming back.We progress. WE SNOWBOARD
Agree about boot confort. And it's not a bad idea to get a board that will be around as you progress. If you spend 250 on the whole thing and you get a new board one season later, it's not such a good deal.

Don't forget that it's now 'season's end sales' season... It's not unusual to find 60% off deals in April...

Dan Gerous
: check my blog for snowboarding stuff

DAN.GEROUS.NET
Being that snowboarding is an expensive sport (it never ends with just boards, boots, and bindings), when I shopped for my first setup I thought of it as an investment. Even if you do buy a cheaper setup, it's still going to cost you over $200, which isn't chump change. And when you get better, your "cheaper" gear will be lost. With that mentality, I was willing to pay a little more money to get better quality equipment that I knew would last me years.

With that said, there is a bunch of gear out there that's fit for a beginner but will also allow you to progress as a rider. I would stick to the reputable companies (Burton, Ride, Soloman, K2, GNU, and of course ROME) that will offer lower-end gear that will be better quality than anything you can get at, say, a Sports Authority or Walmart. (Actually Rome gear is a bit more expensive but I just had to mention it because I love my Solution. Also, I don't like Walmart. But that's another story...)

For a board, you might want to check out the GNU Carbon High Beam. It's on the cheaper end and from a lot of reviews, works great as a beginner board you can advance as a rider with.

As for Boots and Bindings, the other guys pretty much said it all.

One last thing, this forum has a wealth of information. Browse around and you'll get a feel for which brands make quality gear.

Good Luck.
[COLOR="Olive"]05/06 Rome Solution 156
05/06 Ride SPi's
04/05 32 Prospects

*and the peasants rejoice* [/COLOR]
darn now i'm wondering if i should wait out till april now and keep renting Sad

i might just get some boots for now before the season ends

thanks for ur responses all
lapchern Wrote:darn now i'm wondering if i should wait out till april now and keep renting Sad

i might just get some boots for now before the season ends

thanks for ur responses all
I usually buy my stuff during summer. That way, next year's stuff is announced so I know if the new tech is worth waiting for. If not, there are clearances everywhere. Got my last board and pair of boots at ridiculous prices that way. But start looking around now, over here, sales are already starting in most shops and the more you wait, availability of some models and sizes of boards, bindings and booots will diminish.

Dan Gerous
: check my blog for snowboarding stuff

DAN.GEROUS.NET
I would buy the board and bindings on the internet now and then in october when they have swapmeets and off the wall sales you can get boots because your feet may grow. That's what happened to me.
K2 Fuse 155cm,Rome Crail 53
Drake 50 Bindings, Flux Super Titan
Celsius

Shred the Edge to the Edge of Exsistence![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hehe i'm 23 i dont think my feet will grow much more
HaHA my bad
K2 Fuse 155cm,Rome Crail 53
Drake 50 Bindings, Flux Super Titan
Celsius

Shred the Edge to the Edge of Exsistence![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Don't know if you want to wait until next season or not since mountain high's season is about to end or not. But if you don't mind waiting until next season. Go to sportsmart. I know people say don't buy your gear from there cause it sucks and all that bs but i got a complete setup for 200. i bought it at the beginning of the 05 season but it was 04s stuff.
here's what i got
ride cue 156 - $100 (not a great board but whatever)
burton freestyle booots - $40
AND FOR THE GRAND FINALE
ride spi's - $60

so yeah. go to sportsmart at the beginnning of next season and go to the clearance section. crazy good deals
moguls suck Wrote:Don't know if you want to wait until next season or not since mountain high's season is about to end or not. But if you don't mind waiting until next season. Go to sportsmart. I know people say don't buy your gear from there cause it sucks and all that bs but i got a complete setup for 200. i bought it at the beginning of the 05 season but it was 04s stuff.
here's what i got
ride cue 156 - $100 (not a great board but whatever)
burton freestyle booots - $40
AND FOR THE GRAND FINALE
ride spi's - $60

so yeah. go to sportsmart at the beginnning of next season and go to the clearance section. crazy good deals
im hearing mtn high sucked this weekend and the season is pretty much over... i'm going to wait.
what do you guys think of this?

http://www.the-house.com/9854lmfzzltd.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Office.com/setup StephenJones 0 144 06-19-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: StephenJones
  Seeking Help For Printer Setup? Access The Link 123.hp.com/setup jimmyandrew 0 289 05-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: jimmyandrew
  Ravens good results vs Patriots hinges upon preventing ageless Brady Glasgow 0 264 03-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Glasgow
  Rode @ Whiteface for 1st time 2 wknds ago.. good shit Little 1 2,987 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Last Post: someloser*rider
  Good board for me? Black-Knight 5 2,851 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Last Post: a2k
  Need help for a friend, burton setup q Himalayan 19 3,655 10-19-2007, 05:21 AM
  Good USA boarding resorts BoardRider74 11 2,825 09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Last Post: a2k
  Good Resort for Anniversary? MissRancher 2 1,018 03-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Jimi77
  looking for advice on new setup tonysunset 14 2,681 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
  Beginner Needs New Board MChong 6 2,254 01-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Himalayan