Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Wide board (if I have to) question
#1
Ok folks, after reading the lack of posts post (is that grammatically
correct?) I will fire out the first "what board for......" question. After
my son's last growth spurt (all upwards) he is 5-10, 135 lbs, with size
11.5/12 feet. With his foot size and stance (duck +/- 15) I am afraid I will
have to go to a wide board, but with his weight I am really concerned about
response edge to edge. More info - Free ride only, Eastern Firm(tm) most of
the time, two trips a year to Utah a year for powder (hopefully) and
sometimes some spring sliding.

The floor is open - any ideas???

Thanks


Reply
#2

"helibrdr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected][color=blue]
> Ok folks, after reading the lack of posts post (is that grammatically
> correct?) I will fire out the first "what board for......" question. After my
> son's last growth spurt (all upwards) he is 5-10, 135 lbs, with size 11.5/12
> feet. With his foot size and stance (duck +/- 15) I am afraid I will have to
> go to a wide board, but with his weight I am really concerned about response
> edge to edge. More info - Free ride only, Eastern Firm(tm) most of the time,
> two trips a year to Utah a year for powder (hopefully) and sometimes some
> spring sliding.
>
> The floor is open - any ideas???[/color]

The wide board definately helps with large feet. I was toeing out and heeling
out frequently on my old board. I picked up an old unused fatbob, and the
crashes ended. Risers might also solve the problem. I need to make some for my
other board and find out. My stance is very similar to your son's.

I never noticed any problem edge to edge.

Bob


Reply
#3
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:38:29 -0400, helibrdr wrote:
[color=blue]
> The floor is open - any ideas???[/color]

Maybe buy a board with risers. Although I think that a wide board around
160cm lenght would be OK too. In powder, the extra surface would be a plus.

--
Bas.
Reply
#4
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:38:29 GMT, "helibrdr" <[email protected]>
allegedly wrote:
[color=blue]
> The floor is open - any ideas???[/color]

I suspect that most of my thoughts are in the FAQ.

I have size 10 feet, and I ride what's commonly thought of as a *really*
wide board. When looking to go wide, I tried a 260mm board, and it wasn't
wide enough. I then rode a 270mm board for a number of years which was
fine. After those years of progress, I found I was digging in my
toes/heel more often, so switched to a 280mm board. I've not looked back
since.

I don't have a problem getting edge to edge. Perhaps that's to do with my
height (over 6ft) or my skill level (I prefer this explanation! :-)

My oft-used counter-point to the risers option is that if they were such a
great idea, why aren't "normal" footed people riding skinny boards with
risers?

Best bet is to get one on demo and see how it is for a day.

- Dave.

--
The only powder to get high on, falls from the sky.
[url]http://www.vpas.org.uk/[/url] - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - [url]http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/[/url]
Reply
#5

"Neil Gendzwill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected][color=blue]
> helibrdr wrote:[color=green]
>> Ok folks, after reading the lack of posts post (is that grammatically
>> correct?) I will fire out the first "what board for......" question.
>> After my son's last growth spurt (all upwards) he is 5-10, 135 lbs, with
>> size 11.5/12 feet. With his foot size and stance (duck +/- 15) I am
>> afraid I will have to go to a wide board, but with his weight I am
>> really concerned about response edge to edge. More info - Free ride only,
>> Eastern Firm(tm) most of the time, two trips a year to Utah a year for
>> powder (hopefully) and sometimes some spring sliding.[/color]
>
> He'll have significant toe/heel drag at those angles on a standard (25 cm)
> waisted board. If all he does is skid and spin like most kids, probably
> not a concern. If he's skilled at putting the board on edge and actually
> carving, then he's going to get bootout.
>
> Neil[/color]

Neil,

No I brought him up right! ;-) He loves to carve, enjoys powder when he can
get it, and is starting to get pretty good in the trees. I am taking him
cat-boarding with me next year.

Thanks - I am looking at a Burton Custom Wide (or a slightly used Canyon
since it is the same board)


Reply
#6
In article <[email protected]>,
"helibrdr" <[email protected]> wrote:
[color=blue]
> Ok folks, after reading the lack of posts post (is that grammatically
> correct?) I will fire out the first "what board for......" question. After
> my son's last growth spurt (all upwards) he is 5-10, 135 lbs, with size
> 11.5/12 feet. With his foot size and stance (duck +/- 15) I am afraid I will
> have to go to a wide board, but with his weight I am really concerned about
> response edge to edge. More info - Free ride only, Eastern Firm(tm) most of
> the time, two trips a year to Utah a year for powder (hopefully) and
> sometimes some spring sliding.
>
> The floor is open - any ideas???[/color]

Good evening gents.

Santa Cruz makes some great wide boards. Let's see, if you have size
11.5 feet, I could get the specs on a good wide board, but K2 makes the
Fat Bob....(do they still?). Burton has a couple wide boards this year,
can get info and will post it tomorrow a.m. Have not seen the other
replies yet, so you may already be set...excuse redundant info, if so.

My SC 164W (W for "wide" as you may know) is super responsive edge to
edge. It's a wide board for big mtn. (I have size 9 feet, weigh 160,
5'9" - can convert to cm for you out of towners....I know we're
backwards here in the U.S.....Wink It's a light board...etc. Way more
responsive than I thought it would be, just wanted a "longboard" in my
quiver. It's the most stable board at high spd. that I've ever ridden,
hard pack AND powder.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the momentt. Pls. feel free to email if
you have further questions! Good Luck!!!!

-jw
Reply
#7
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:31:11 -0400, helibrdr wrote:
[color=blue]
> Thanks - I am looking at a Burton Custom Wide (or a slightly used Canyon
> since it is the same board)[/color]

I myself (as a bigfoot) liked the concept of the K2 Recon Riser. That
board (from last year) is now sold for a low price.

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to test drive. But it looks quite
OK for lightweight bigfoots :-)

Maybe you can consider it as an option. Although the Custom Wide sounds OK
too.

(Silently hearing Freddy Mercury singing "I want them all!" :-)))
--
Bas.
Reply
#8
helibrdr wrote:[color=blue]
>
> No I brought him up right! ;-) He loves to carve, enjoys powder when he can
> get it, and is starting to get pretty good in the trees. I am taking him
> cat-boarding with me next year.
>
> Thanks - I am looking at a Burton Custom Wide (or a slightly used Canyon
> since it is the same board)[/color]

It just wouldn't be an rss response if I didn't recommend one of our
beloved companies - check out Donek, I believe the Phoenix comes in a 27
cm width and would be a good choice for him.

Neil
Reply
#9
I did a (tiny) bit of research over my lunch break to see what wide boards
were out there, for normal length boards around the 160cm mark.

Burton don't seem to have anything over 26cm, and their site is a
nightmare if you don't have a fast line.

Salamon - Asides from having to navigate another awful flash-based web-
site, which doesn't actually fit my browser properly, I had to
individually hover over each board in order to see something about them,
before finally hiting on the Patrol, advertised for big feet. But again,
only 26.2cm.

Donek are still doing the trusty Wide and Sasquatch versions, which is
great news. If only they did a fat nosed powder board, I'd be well happy.
By far the cleanest web-site and so easy to get to the specs and compare
the range. Plus there's the Phoenix 163W which sits between the Wide and
Sasq, at least in terms of width.

Prior don't have much wider than 26cm. The only one being the 168XW
Freeride board at 27cm. Not what I would call Xtra-Wide, and way too long
for my liking.

If I had to buy something right now, based on that research, it would have
to be another Donek Sasquatch.

Clearly there just isn't the market for wide boards. Most people don't
snowboard properly anyway and go from one skid to the next, and that's
where the money is. I bet the sales figures on the Sasquatch are minimal.

- Dave.

--
The only powder to get high on, falls from the sky.
[url]http://www.vpas.org.uk/[/url] - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - [url]http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/[/url]
Reply
#10
On 2007-10-04, Switters <[email protected]> wrote:[color=blue]
> I did a (tiny) bit of research over my lunch break to see what wide boards
> were out there, for normal length boards around the 160cm mark.
>
> Burton don't seem to have anything over 26cm, and their site is a
> nightmare if you don't have a fast line.
>
> Salamon - Asides from having to navigate another awful flash-based web-
> site, which doesn't actually fit my browser properly, I had to
> individually hover over each board in order to see something about them,
> before finally hiting on the Patrol, advertised for big feet. But again,
> only 26.2cm.
>
> Donek are still doing the trusty Wide and Sasquatch versions, which is
> great news. If only they did a fat nosed powder board, I'd be well happy.
> By far the cleanest web-site and so easy to get to the specs and compare
> the range. Plus there's the Phoenix 163W which sits between the Wide and
> Sasq, at least in terms of width.
>
> Prior don't have much wider than 26cm. The only one being the 168XW
> Freeride board at 27cm. Not what I would call Xtra-Wide, and way too long
> for my liking.
>
> If I had to buy something right now, based on that research, it would have
> to be another Donek Sasquatch.
>
> Clearly there just isn't the market for wide boards. Most people don't
> snowboard properly anyway and go from one skid to the next, and that's
> where the money is. I bet the sales figures on the Sasquatch are minimal.
>
>[/color]

I really loved my 166W Nitro Pantera from last year. Too bad somebody
stole it. Now I'm thinking either another one of those or a Donek
Pheonix 163W. I couldn't find the specs on the Burton Custom Wide. Knowing
Burton boards from past experience, they probably consider 25.9 as a
wide board.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem mounting Ride bindings on Burton board Bob F 6 2,367 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Last Post: [email protected]
  As long as we're on the subject (board suggestions) 0 1,277 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  I WANT AN ALPINE BOARD 0 1,278 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  what kind of board should i get? ;) 0 2,963 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Clean top of board 0 1,139 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Board Opinion 0 1,007 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Slightly different new board? 0 863 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Breckenridge on the end of Nov - snow question 0 745 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  This board needs a thread...let's talk carving 0 1,233 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Re: question about balance / jumping 0 1,093 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)