Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help me pick out a good jacket please..
hi, i really need a good jacket for when i go on the slopes.. does anybody have a really nice coat that they like or that they think that somebody should get? becuase i'm looking all over for a good coat and haven't had any luck Sad should i get a bulkey one or a light one? what do you guess think?
please help meee.. Sad

Stoked...
dub
special blend
burton

i'd get light and layer ur clothes....
I don't have one but i want one, 686.
Volcom stuff is really good. I love them. I heard somewhere that SB don't last very long. I've had my volcom jacket for 3 seasons now, and all it has is a friction burn from sliding down a rail on my ass. Check them out at http://www.volcom.com Oh Ya, get light and then layer your clothes. If it's really cold where you are though, get one of those Puffy down jackets. Volcom makes those to, their pretty cool and hella warm
jam*wil Wrote:Volcom stuff is really good. I love them. I heard somewhere that SB don't last very long. I've had my volcom jacket for 3 seasons now, and all it has is a friction burn from sliding down a rail on my ass. Check them out at http://www.volcom.com Oh Ya, get light and then layer your clothes. If it's really cold where you are though, get one of those Puffy down jackets. Volcom makes those to, their pretty cool and hella warm
yea man puffys are the shit. its all about the puffys... but jacket companies i'd say dub, bonfire, or volcom...or Analog from burton... word
draft beer. not people.
[Image: DOPEYcopy.jpg]
I have had nothing but good experiances from Columbia. They make good stuff.......never get hot, cold, or wet.
I use a Columbia jacket, which is also my rain jacket when I'm out fishing, just have to remember to take my mini-tackle box out. Wink

Pretty much any rain jacket will be just fine, but you have to wear warm clothing underneath, since snow is almost always cold. If you ever find warm/hot snow, and you are snowboarding down of it, thats because you are on Mt Kilauea.

Wear synthetics, no cotton. The only thing cotton is good for is bandages and rags. It gets wet and stays wet (like some women I know :o). You want to be dry when you are snowboarding. Get shirts, sweaters, thermal underwear that are made out of synthetics, like polyester, fleece, polypropylene, etc. Wear them in layers, and you will stay warmer, definitely warmer than if you only have 1 layer.
Bonfire or burton, Bonfire is a bit better and with them you can get a good thin coat that keeps you WAY warm and they are great quality
NEW SIGNATURE: Show a man a snowboard trick and entertain him for a day, Teach a man to snowboard and entertain him for a lifetime.
would a soft shell jacket be sufficient enough underneath a Burton jacket?
Lyrics, wasted time between solo's...
Ride jackets are terrible, never get one
[Image: 6g1wbhf.jpg]
the attitude that snowboarding is fun regardless of pow or rain, big mountain or small mountain, box or groomer
Columbia, Ripzone,billabong, Westbeach are all good in my mined
I ride with a billabong i like it
i had a ripzone witch was great for the price
And Westbeach has a great oter shell and there hoddy is the warmest i ever worn
And Columbia makes sick puffers
EARTH! i got a Earth jacket for 50 bux what a score its perfect!
686 Optical Jacket Big Grin.
Lyrics, wasted time between solo's...
bleed666 Wrote:would a soft shell jacket be sufficient enough underneath a Burton jacket?

Shells are meant as an outside layer not for insulation. If you're getting a shell then you should get an inside layer than stops wind and is decently warm (most often this will be called a "fleece").

Getting a multi layered jacket has many advantages but it will cost more. For instance, you can shed the layers has it gets warmer or has you need them (sunny days don't require a shell for instance). But I find this system to be FAR more expensive than just a normal jacket. I use a fleece/shell system myself and it costed me together $250 (half off for employee discount so more like $500). It works absolutely awesome but the price is steep.

Shells - Soft shells are very flexible but do not provide the same protection against the elements. For full protection against wind and water, hard shells work best, but they are less comfortable and have much less flex. To be honest, hard shells are designed for the worst of conditions and in my experience soft shells will provide strong protection against any reasonable amount of wind and rain. Unless of course you need more warmth, and a hard shell will keep you warmer by not being as breathable.

I'm reluctant to name companies because I'm not sure of your budget. If a $200-$300 jacket sounds expensive to you I'd give up on the shell idea, most shell systems are not cheap.
Columbia's are ok. they're of course not as warm as downs. thats assuming that we're talkin about those two layer outer shell and fleece ones. there are puffy columbias?? .. ididnt know that lol.. anywya this is my review on the two layer shells.

two things i complain about for columbia's are the zippers and their level of water resistance. the zippers break off a lot. seems to be common for columbias. i cant zip my columbia up anymore i have to button it up.
my sister's columbia has the same problem. her zipper broke off as well as her husbands. althoguht columbia offers zipper replacements cause it seems to happen a lot. and they're not that waterresistant. after a few hours the shell will get soaked and the fleece inside will get wet.

i want to try a goretex jacket. but i've never had the money to buy and try.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HH Verglas Jacket Helmet Compatibility aqualinx 1 1,569 12-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jackmonkey2397
  Anyone know a good relyable beginners snowboard??? Burton_Blondie 9 3,010 03-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Burton_Blondie