Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Snowboarding Tips for Beginners
Tips for Beginning Snowboarders (from one "beginner" to another):

* When learning, pick wide runs. You'll need the room to maneuver and avoid other boarders (colliding with skiers is generally acceptable and is simply "natural selection" ).

* Don't over-extend yourself at first. Make sure you are confident before trying medium and hard runs. Courage is admirable, but too many boarders go Sonny Bono style because of overconfidence. TREES are not your friend.

* Wrist guards are great. The vast majority of falls are to the front. After a day or two of falling and pushing yourself up, your forearms will be tired. Wrist guards definitely help.

* Try transversing the hill side to side first. You maneuver by putting weight on your toes or the balls of your feet. Unlike skiing, simply changing the board's direction doesn't turn you.

* Slow yourself down by turning up the mountain face. A perfect boarder would perform S-curves down the mountain, alternating toeside/backside turns.

* Stay away from fleece outerwear. Snow tends to stick and turn into ice (major bummer after a few hours). Fleece innerwear is great, but keep yourself DRY.

* Some resorts offer discounts for rookies who simply want to stick to the green areas. It does no good to pay full fare if you can't enjoy all the runs. It doesn't hurt to ask.

* If you fall in a high traffic areas, get out of the way quickly. Other skiers and boarders may not see you, and collisions can mess you up.

* Avoid moguls when learning. It's hard to run around them for an
inexperienced boarder, and hitting them dead-on is dangerous.

* Go as often as you can. Lessons learned one week earlier are easier to remember than those learned a month ago.

Happy hunting.
Wink
Peace without freedom is empty.
* Try not to get to stuck to one type of snowboarding or the other. eg. Toe edge , heel edge. If your a strict toe edge it sucks to try learning how to carve. Rolleyes

* Make sure you find out whether your a goofy or a regular. Goofy ppl have their right foot forwards and regular ppl have the left foot in front. SLide across your kitchen floor. Which foot went forward???:eek:

* Get snug boots, but not to small. You should not be able to lift your heel from the bottom of the boot more than a few about half an inch after your laced up.Big Grin

* FEEL NO FEAR!!!!!!!!! This is the leading cause for aweful snowboarders!:mad:

HAVE FUN!:p
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
¿¡~*(L)Meredith(L)*~¡¿
MY WEBSITE
HEY! GOT NEW STUFF ON MY SITE!

Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching.
There are a few things one needs to know when first starting to hit jumps.

*Start Small. Bjorn Leines didn't hit a 50 foot gap on his first day, neither should you. Encouraging skiiers to do so is acceptable.

*Loosen up. Don't ball up and hit the jump with your legs tense and your arms flexed! It's grace alone that would keep your feet underneath you in that situation. Straighten up and let the board ride off of the lip by itself. Don't try too much too soon.

*Make sure of the landing. I would never hit a jump that I hadn't taken a dry run at first. Make absolutely certain that trees, bushes, rocks, and other things aren't in the way. Colliding with an innatimate object after a jump is never a bonus (it's really funny though. TJ, way to go!)

*Don't be afraid to fall. If you aren't falling, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

....more later.
Check it out:

http://learning.snowboarding2.com
Very cool and good usage of the hosting option GNUworld!

Nice way of doing the recommended sites btw Wink

Quote:Originally posted by GNUworld
Check it out:

How do u get pics in ur photo gallery thing? WHats up with that?
¿¡~*(L)Meredith(L)*~¡¿
MY WEBSITE

To add pics to your gallery simply click your gallery link or go to the pictures section above and click upload. Browse to a pic and after I approve it... walla! That is all that is required because you already have an account here in the forum.

Quote:Originally posted by MoronicSnowChic
How do u get pics in ur photo gallery thing? WHats up with that?
Don't be a chicken. Sign up, it's not hard. Or are you going to be a poser and just watch?
Your site will be the site of the Month April.

Quote:Originally posted by GNUworld
Check it out:

Don't be a chicken. Sign up, it's not hard. Or are you going to be a poser and just watch?
thanx for the tips guys.
Im liveing prof that blonds can bee smarrt!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organized people are just 2 lazy 2 look 4 things
Your very welcome:p
¿¡~*(L)Meredith(L)*~¡¿
MY WEBSITE

Quote:Originally posted by MoronicSnowChic
Your very welcome:p

Once again...you cease to amaze me with your uber-constructive posts Wink

Tips...hmm...

Well, about the only thing I can think of is if it's your first time, don't get more of a board than you can handle. My first run was on a Burton Dragon, and I fell about ever 30 seconds (I shit you not.) It was wayyy too fast...which brings me to my other tip:

Don't go faster than you're capable of. Board control is of utmost priority at early stages...speed will come later.
Quote:Once again...you cease to amaze me with your uber-constructive posts

But of course. I will continue this....

You are so right about the speed. On my first day, I started going so terribly fast. And then (as a begginer) you get this feeling, 'Oh man this is really going to hurt' lol. Anyways, ttyl,
¿¡~*(L)Meredith(L)*~¡¿
MY WEBSITE

Yeah, it gives another meaning to "speed kills"Sad I know what newbies do when they get going too fast, having experienced it myself:

You pick up a lot of speed on a slope, get scared, try to slow down, catch an edge, bail horribly, and skid about 10 feet...then you wake up with a splitting headache, and go whining to mommy.

The best way to remedy this...don't take slopes that are too difficult for you. The runs are color-coded for a reason. If it's your first time off the "bunny-run", stick to the greens. Only out of necessity should you take blues, and never take a black. When they say difficult, they mean it. But if you screw up and end up on a blue or black doing 40mph...the best way to recover without tragedy is to make sure you stop with your toes pointing downhill. drag your heelside edge, lean backwards, and sit down. It's always better to land on your butt than on your face. (Your butt is jiggly and cushiony for a reason:p) But make sure that you're out of the way when you decide to plunk your ass down. The biggest pet peeve of of both snowboarders and skiiers (but who gives a crap about them Wink ) is inexperienced riders taking a break right in the middle of a run, or right around a blind turn.

Good luck and Godspeed, young ones.
Quote:Good luck and Godspeed, young ones.

Good post. But who are the 'young ones' or does that just make you feel older:p Wink lol. j/k

Anyways, I went down my first black diamond on my first day ever. That was hard but totally fun. And yes, it is hella annouying when a begginer (even though I was) sits down. Espiecially if they flop right in front of you while you are trying to get speed up for a flatter or diffecult part of the slope. That bugs me to no end! Lol. ANyways,

Buh bye,
¿¡~*(L)Meredith(L)*~¡¿
MY WEBSITE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MoronicSnowChic
Good post. But who are the 'young ones' or does that just make you feel older:p Wink lol. j/k

"Young" as in "inexperienced"...really doesn't have much to do with age other than the fact that most boarders pick up the sport when they'e about 12 or 13, but I have known some people that just get tired or bored with skiing (bout time) and decide to pick up boarding at age 40...my dad did it a year after I did, and I guess you could say that I referred to him as a "young one" as well Smile

...and yes, it does make me feel older :p

Anyways, to add substance to this post, I have one more tip for the beginning boarder:

One of the first things you want to master as a new boarder is the art of getting off the lift without tragedy. If you took lessons, you were taught to take your back foot out of the binding before you even get on the lift. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only way to do it. When you are ready to get off the chair, put your bound foot forward so that the board is parallel with the exit, and place your other foot on the stomp pad (that is, of course, of your board has one). There should be a decline on the exit, so you shouldnt have to push off (nor is it advisable, usually something bad happens). Get completely clear of the exit before you sit down to strap your other foot in, and be prepared to clean the snow from your binding before you strap in to make sure that you get a secure fit. Then be on your merry way down the mountain. Repeat as many times as necessary.

That is all for now, little grasshoppers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waxing tips needed Gucho 26 9,648 12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Last Post: tommyid1
  tips to jump n what to do while in air extremeboarder 6 2,998 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Dan Gerous
  Tips on balancing and just plain riding? rIdE_oR_dIe7676 30 7,853 01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Nate_doggg
  Tips for landing jumps Firefly_Rodeo 4 2,240 12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Eastsideslider7
  Snowboarding on the Trampoline.. anybody here do it? _St0ked0ut 17 5,688 03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Jimi77
  Tips for making vids? neswheat 20 4,254 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Last Post: PureBoarding
  Snowboarding cheap ElDanio 9 2,468 11-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Dino00235
  Snowboarding and Moguls Bear 20 3,596 10-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Bear
  Cheap Snowboarding dvd's/video's... _St0ked0ut 2 1,728 09-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Last Post: nikispittie
  Tips!!! Powder.fan. 6 2,115 05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Powder.fan.