Your Boarding Source

Full Version: Skateboarding...why so wrong with the law?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
O.k. I'm sure most of you don't really care but it's made me think about this subject alot more. I had to write a journal entry in English about a rule or law that we think is bad/wrong. I couldn't really think of anything so I picked to write about how not being able to skateboard where you want is a stupid law. I mean they tell them they cant skate at this place...or that place...or that town...that section. But then they don't give them anywhere where they ARE allowed to skate. (Our town and the towns all around us have no skatepark cause the town thinks its a waste of money) And then like every kid that skates somehow gets in trouble just cause they want to skate (boyfriend and his friends have gotten kicked out of multiple places in town...post office, pizza shop, school no longer lets any bikes or anything on school property, ect. And they weren't like damaging anything...just skating) They think its so wrong but people are just doing a sport they like ya know? I just said some stuff like that in my writing and my teacher wrote back on it, "Good point" It's like yeah...good point that no one else sees obviously. And now your ganna say..'well go out and do something about it'. Well in Warren(20 min. away) a group of about 10 kids and their parents have been trying to fundraise all this past summer and they havent even gotten close...yep...because people think its not important...yet they dont want them skateboarding on their streets. It just doesnt make much sense to me I guess...

What do you guys think?
People have this hollow idea that if they say yes to skateboarding, they are saying yes to grafitti on every wall, heroine needles littering the childrens playgrounds, vandilization of everything. They see a teenager and that is what they think... So naturally, they have to ban something to keep all of the stuff I mentioned earlier in check... They see that pretty much all skateboarders are teenagers, and the skateboarding lifestyle is a lifestyle of destruction and recklessness so they ban skateboarding. It's their facet to try and control the youth. It's stupid yes but their are a lot of stupid people.
Skateboarding Is Not A Crime
most of the time it's cause of insurance reasons... if some kid does a trick, f***s it up, and almost/does get him/her self killed, then the parents or other family sues the city or whoever owns that place. It's basically to avoid this. Untill they write a law that says that you're lieable when on a skateboard, then it'll be banned in allot of places. It's basically all about people not wanting to get sued so they're covering their bases. Look at it from their point of view. I also think it's stupid, but it is what it is.
Dre Wrote:most of the time it's cause of insurance reasons... if some kid does a trick, f***s it up, and almost/does get him/her self killed, then the parents or other family sues the city or whoever owns that place. It's basically to avoid this. Untill they write a law that says that you're lieable when on a skateboard, then it'll be banned in allot of places. It's basically all about people not wanting to get sued so they're covering their bases. Look at it from their point of view. I also think it's stupid, but it is what it is.
Well all they have to do is make a sign or have whoever comes into the park sign a paper or something that says the place isnt liable for injuries. Or just spend some more to have insurance at the park.

And also it's really only skateboarders that arnt allowed anywhere...how bout kids that bmx...its a bike so they are allowed places...and fruitbooters. Ha but then this kid that bmx's was complaining cause they arnt allowed in some skate parks...yet they are allowed to ride anywhere else like on the streets and stuff
someloser*rider Wrote:And also it's really only skateboarders that arnt allowed anywhere...how bout kids that bmx...its a bike so they are allowed places...and fruitbooters. Ha but then this kid that bmx's was complaining cause they arnt allowed in some skate parks...yet they are allowed to ride anywhere else like on the streets and stuff
no that's not true...at least here it isn't, bmxers and skaters get kicked outta parking lots just the same as skateboarders. and yeah they don't allow the bikers into most parks either. it's the stupid town governments...and people that are probly jealous of youth.
SnoBordPrincess Wrote:no that's not true...at least here it isn't, bmxers and skaters get kicked outta parking lots just the same as skateboarders.
well they dont here. Even at the highschool they ride (not suposed to) and no one bothers them...but as soon as they see a skateboarder they start *****ing at em
insurance is a big part on why people dont have skateparks and dont want kids skating their ledges and banks and crap.

another is how would you like it if you saw some punk kids waxing up your ledges and curbs only to turn them black and to chip the hell out of them?

the big thing about bikes is that there was this thing called the "hazardous acts law" this allowed cities to allow skateboarders and rollerbladers to build skateparks and not have to deal with insurance on the park. Bikes were not under this act until 2002 if i rememeber correctly, therefore all skateparks built after 2002 had the OPTION to allow bikes into their skatepark, which is currently becoming the trend.

Ive been through the whole bikes in skateparks, skateboarding on public property. Hell ive been formally arrested for biking at a school, charged with graffiting, and breaking windows(which i didnt do, all i did was wax some bloody ledges). I had to clean a school, and paint those red stripes on the sides of curbs as community service.

what really gets me, is the fact that europe has had skateparks and bikes and skaters all throughout the 70's with out problems..

its really the fact that people are sue happy in the US.

thats it with my rambling, the end.
2 points to make.

one, puting up a sign won't do anything, the point could be made that they didn't make sure everyone read it. i've also heard *from a lawyer* that w/ wavers, what they mostly do is make ppl aware of the dangers, and make them think that they can't sue. in reallity you can even if u sign a waver, beacuase its almost impossible to write a flawless waiver.

two, as i often tell ppl, the law doesn't stop ppl from doing stuff its more of politly asks them not to.
Powder.fan. Wrote:two, as i often tell ppl, the law doesn't stop ppl from doing stuff its more of politly asks them not to.
it eventually stops you...like getting arrested for trespasing or something..