Your Boarding Source

Full Version: Longboarding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
does anyone on here longboard? i'm thinking about picking it up, mostly for transport reasons, faster and easier, and being on a board reminds me of snowboarding.. oh and if you do know anything about them how much do they cost? like for a half decent one. thanks all.
I bought a freebord, so far so good.
i hear they go a hell of a lot faster than a skateboard. one i saw at zumiez was $150 and was a sector nine board
I have one of these:

http://www.3dm-sport.com/

It's fun....

Closest thing that you will get to snowboarding in the summer.

One thing to keep in mind... pavement hurts more than snow. Its also not quite as smooth. Loose pebbles will stop the board (but not the body) instantly. (I was off the board for 3 weeks last month waiting for my ankle to heal, and return to normal size)

The seismic trucks are great. They turn like a snowboard with the high return to centre and all...

And yeah, they are fast. I had a 48" pintail (different trucks) when i lived in a place with hills... I had it up over 60km/h.

The 3DM is more for flatland pushing/pumping/carving. I have had it over 50 km/h on hills, and it feels more stable than the 48". I credit the trucks.

they are pricey, though. That one was a shade over $250Cdn. Well worth it though.

I ride it to work, the beer store, 7-11, everywhere... Faster than walking, easier than running, more stylish than cycling, and not as gay looking as roller blades. (safer too).

PS... Oh yeah, buy a helmet... and wear it. I don;t wear a helmet for snowboarding, (or for flatland commuting on the skateboard - but i should)... But it is a MUST HAVE on one of these. Pavement is not as forgiving as snow!
thanks for the replys.

i went down to a local boardshop today and bought one, a landyachtz i think its called, set me back bout 250. but so far so good, i got a general hang of it pretty quickly, only had one rather nasty fall. i'm decent as long as i dont have to turn or stop Tongue, anyways much faster (and more interesting) than walking
Powder.fan. Wrote:thanks for the replys.

i went down to a local boardshop today and bought one, a landyachtz i think its called, set me back bout 250. but so far so good, i got a general hang of it pretty quickly, only had one rather nasty fall. i'm decent as long as i dont have to turn or stop Tongue, anyways much faster (and more interesting) than walking

Which landyachtz? I had the cheif. Nice board. Lots of flex.

Learn to turn, and you will never need to stop.
[QUOTE=Dino00235]I have one of these:

the trucks.
QUOTE]

I disagree with that statement. I'd say freebording is (http://www.freebord.com). But hey to each his own.
Brodiekiller Wrote:[QUOTE=Dino00235]I have one of these:

the trucks.
QUOTE]

I disagree with that statement. I'd say freebording is (http://www.freebord.com). But hey to each his own.

Depends how you snowboard, I guess.

The third wheel on the freeboard looks like it simulates sideslip extremely well... But doesn;t look like it would hold a carve.

I would love to try one of these:
http://tierneyrides.com/
...but the 2 wheel setup looks impractical for commuting.
I think you would have been better off just getting a larger skateboard, and putting some riser pads on, then some high trucks and a set of big longboard wheels. I find longboards kinda useless.
they look stupid and you can't really do anything but ride them anyway, should really get a skateboard like weaksauce said.
weaksauce Wrote:I think you would have been better off just getting a larger skateboard, and putting some riser pads on, then some high trucks and a set of big longboard wheels. I find longboards kinda useless.

Ok....

Maybe I am slightly retarded or something...

But if you get a larger skateboard deck, raise the trucks with some risers, and put on some larger wheels.....

....How is that any different from a longboard?

Am I missing something here?

rage Wrote:they look stupid and you can't really do anything but ride them anyway

What else would you want to do with them? Play it like a banjo? Wear it around your neck?

and oh yeah,
...you look stupid.
A long board is signifigently longer then a skateboard and has a completly different shape to it. Thats the large difference.

And he means by do anything on it he means, that you cant do any tricks. A longboard is just basically for carving.
weaksauce Wrote:A long board is signifigently longer then a skateboard and has a completly different shape to it. Thats the large difference.

Really? Significantly longer you say.

My board is 36" long, as opposed to the 33" dual-kick boards that I assume you are talking about... would you still consider it to be a longboard? What if I rode a 28" slalom deck...?

And the shape? What's up with you? I have seen single and dual-kick boards in the 40"-48" range. Would you consider these to be not longboards, because they are shaped the same as your 'conventional' board?

Myself... I consider anything consisting of a deck, some wheels, and some sort of truck to initiate turns through weight transfer to be a 'skateboard'.

weaksauce Wrote:And he means by do anything on it he means, that you cant do any tricks. A longboard is just basically for carving.

Well, I guess that all depends on how good you are at it.

I think the point that you were trying to make, but failed to communicate effectively, was that you would reccomend a skateboard with a kicktail on it, so that not only could you cruise and carve on regular asphalt roads...

...but that you could also hang out in your mom's basement attempting zero-velocity ollies and kickflips on the soft shag carpet between rounds of THPS on your Dad's PS2.

Ass.

Go read a book or something.
Dino00235 Wrote:Ass.

Go read a book or something.

Ok, I can't agree or disagree on this subject since I don't know anything about longboards or skateboards, you may be right for all I know.

But, do you really have to call the guy an ass? At least be civil about it Dino.
jjyank Wrote:Ok, I can't agree or disagree on this subject since I don't know anything about longboards or skateboards, you may be right for all I know.

But, do you really have to call the guy an ass? At least be civil about it Dino.

Don't worry...

He hasn;t taken your place in my heart.

I will still call you an ass, too.

Just not in this thread.

Best Regards.
Pages: 1 2 3